ParaJVE : Parabellum's Java Vectrex Emulator   

Official Home of ParaJVE ... A travel through the programming of a freeware Vectrex emulator in java!

Wednesday, July 19, 2006  

First public release

As I wanted to gather different feedback from potential users, I've decided to build and release a quick and dirty packaging for the emulator. Hopefully, everybody having a very minimal java knowledge should be able to run it without too much hassle! :)

You can download the emulator here : ParaJVE 0.1.0.060718

All that it needs to work properly is an installed Java Runtime Environment 5.0 (yes, a 1.5 JRE ; no, it won't work with a 1.4 JRE), and a windows platform (because of JOGL, a native OpenGL library I use atm).
If some of you want to try it on a mac, though, I think I can find the mac native libs, but I never tested them (ask me if you're willing to try that).

Once unzipped, all you need to do is :
  • edit "vectrex.bat" to make the JAVADIR variable refer to the good path.
  • edit "vectrex.properties" to set the various ROM paths, and also the keymapping (the file is self-commented)
  • run the emulator "vectrex.bat"
As you will see, the project is far from completion, a lot of stuff is not implemented (sound,overlays) or not working properly (vectors alignment & drifts, frame limiter code, SAVE and LOAD won't work in this build).
Don't worry if it seems too slow on your machine as the code is not optimized at all (there will be huge room for speed improvement when I will come to profiling/optimisation).

Also, don't be disapointed by the awful GUI, as it's only a temporary one for this fast release... Still, nearly all original games seem to work, only clean-sweep is crashing at startup (working on that).

Of course, comments and ideas from everybody are most than welcome!

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Good idea to make a new vectrex emulator, my own vectrex is a bit old today. I hope than screen emulation will be better than DVE. I hope also good improvement with the sounds.
    I try to test your emulator but nothing happen ( i've got java last release, i edit vectrex.bat and vectrex properties but no games appear. Note i'm french!
    sebastien

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/21/2006 11:10 AM  

  • Hi Sebastien,
    Thanks for the feedback :)

    If only I still had a real vectrex!
    Unfortunately I sold mine to buy an Amstrad CPC at the time... Go figure!

    Sound emulation is the next big task I'll work on. Not my cup of tea as I have no experience with sounds in java, but well, time will tell ;)

    For your problem regarding the emulator, there should be an error displayed in the DOS console. If you double-clicked directly on the vectrex.bat file the console will close automatically after the error so you can't see it.
    But if you type "vectrex.bat" in an already opened DOS console, you should be able to read it. Can you please do that and report the error?

    Merci! :)

    PS. You can contact me via email if you want, it will be much easier to fix your problem then (you can get the email in my profile)

    By Blogger Parabellum, at 7/21/2006 11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home